Re: [rdiff-backup-users] spec changes for librsync on Rh 7.3

From: Joe Cooper
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] spec changes for librsync on Rh 7.3
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 18:46:27 -0500

Ben Escoto wrote:
"JC" == Joe Cooper <address@hidden>
wrote the following on Fri, 27 Sep 2002 02:32:00 -0500

  JC> Hi Ben and all, I've just had to rebuild the librsync-0.9.5.1
  JC> RPM on my Red Hat 7.3 box, and ran into autotools
  JC> incompatibilities.  I thought I'd share my changes in case
  JC> anyone else hit it and didn't know about the incompatible
  JC> changes in newer versions of the autotools.

Thanks very much, I think some other users were having the same
problems you were, but I'm not very familiar with the GNU build tools.
Does librsync-0.9.5 at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/librsync

have similar problems?  If so, I can inform the librsync people (if
not I suppose I have to figure out what the problem is).

I'll look into it. But it isn't really a problem with librsync, it is a problem of incompatible changes made to both automake 1.5 and 1.6 from 1.4. In some circumstances, it seems, something that builds successfully using 1.4 won't build with 1.5/1.6 and vice versa, so in order to make the move up to later revisions Red Hat has included all three with version tags at the end of the executables. I reckon everyone is just doing their best not to break existing software while allowing new software to build. (Squid went through this debate recently, which is the only reason I was aware of the incompatibilities.)

I did find problems in building 0.9.5.1 on Solaris that I didn't have with 0.9.5.0. I haven't had time to look into it yet. More on that next week, probably.

  JC> BTW-Ben, the RPM of librsync on the website has an extraneous
  JC> dependency, I think, for 'libgdk...something-or-other'.  Not
  JC> sure where it came from.  I couldn't install the package without
  JC> errors on either a 7.2 or 7.3 machine without a rebuild.

If someone has a system less eccentrically linked and would like to
contribute rebuilt rpms (rdiff-backup and/or librsync), I can replace
the ones currently on the web page.  Earlier I was worried about the
fact that they wouldn't be signed with my GPG key, but this is a minor
point compared to their not installing.

I can provide packages built against clean, fully erratified, RH 7.2 and 7.3 systems. I've also got 7.1 and 6.2 build environments, but they are a bit old and hairy and might run into similar issues. Anyway, I'll get some packages built this coming week, signed by me.
--
Joe Cooper <address@hidden>
Web caching appliances and support.