ratpoison-devel

Re: ratpoison gets confused about what is the active frame

From: Ian Hickson
Subject: Re: ratpoison gets confused about what is the active frame
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2021 13:11:42 -0700

On Sun, Apr 4, 2021 at 2:41 AM Axel Svensson <mail@axelsvensson.com> wrote:
On Sun, Apr 4, 2021 at 4:08 AM Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> There's a bug I run into sometimes that I can't quite reliably
> reproduce,

Reproducing it is your first problem. Try adjusting your configuration
with:

set border 3
set fwcolor "#a00000"
set bwcolor "#0000d0"

The above will help you double-check what frames ratpoison considers
active/inactive/empty.

I've added those, I'll report back if it helps with figuring out what's going on.

I feel like deleting a frame is unpredictible wrt what frame is active
afterwards.

When this problem manifests, it doesn't matter where I move the focus. I can manually shift the focus around to different frames (using "focusleft", "focusdown", etc), and in each case whatever window is in that frame does get keyboard focus, and ratpoison does display "Current Frame" in the center of that frame, and I can use the window fine. But if I try to change which window is in that frame using "prev" or "next", a different frame's window changes. Indeed, once this issue triggers, it's always the same frame that changes window regardless of how many times I shift the focus around.

Other than that, you say something about an "offending
frame". Maybe it's the window that offends you? Badly behaving
applications can steal focus sometimes

By "offending frame" I meant the frame that is capturing "prev"/"next" ("offending" doesn't mean "causing offense", it means "causing problems").

In either case, you'll probably not get much help until you can
reproduce it. Good luck!

Is there any way to log ratpoison's behaviour to a file so that I can see if there's anything common in the logs when the problem manifests?

In any case I guess the answer to my original question is that this is not a known thing. I'll see if I can figure out how to reproduce it.

Cheers,
--
Ian Hickson