Re: [Ranger-users] Customized 'edit' command

From: Wojciech Siewierski
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] Customized 'edit' command
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 11:42:13 +0200

On 04.07.2017 21:04, John Z. wrote:
> Hi everyone again!
>
>     New question: is it possible to somehow have <enter> key call
> customized 'edit' command when executed on text files, and have this
> map set up either during runtime, or (ideally!) via run argument?
>
>     What I have is Vim instance running as a server and a ranger instance open
> selected files in that instance of Vim. It works with my current hack, a
> change
> to my local rifle.conf:86 to this:
>
>     mime ^text,  label editor = $EDITOR --remote-silent "$@"
>
>     This, plus tiling window manager, plus Midnight Commander look results in
> pretty nifty shell-driven IDE! Issue is, now *all* requests for edit
> (including bulk_rename) are sent to this instance of Vim. I'd like to be able
> to define, per ranger instance, to which Vim server will I send the file, or
> shall file be edited in-place.
>
>     If possible, I'd like not to have to set up this per file type,
> since sometimes different projects will share a file type, but I want
> different ranger instances to open them in different vim instances.
>
>     Other things I tried
>     - 'map enter', but it maps how enter behaves when I hit the
>       directory as well.
>     - 'alias edit my_edit', but I didn't manage to do it successfully
>

>     Sorry if my description wasn't clear enough, please ask if something
> is confusing and I'll try to clarify it.
>
>     Thanks in advance!
I think Rifle is the right way to do it.

I think your best bet is to use an additional script as your editor, a
script that will make a decision to which Vim to pass each file. If you
want each Ranger instance to have its own Vim, using the Ranger PID
(process ID) might be a good identifier for these Vim servers. It should
be pretty easy to expose it for example as an environmental variable
which you would read in your script.

Cheers
--
vifon