[Ranger-users] some question from a new user

From: Jeroen Budts
Subject: [Ranger-users] some question from a new user
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 22:32:52 +0100

Hi all,

I started using Ranger 2 weeks ago, replacing Thunar in my AwesomeWM +
XFCE setup. So far I really like it. I still have a few beginners
questions to which I couldn't really find an answer on DuckDuckGo, the
wiki and the manpage.

* Are there some example usages of tags? So far the only use I found for
them are when I clean out my Downloads-directory: I go over the list of
files and tag them to categorize them with tags. Then I use `:mark_tag
a` to select all a-tagged files to move them to the correct directory,
and then I do the same for each other tag.
An additional question here: Given the similarities to Vim, I expected
to be able to do something like `"ayy` to move all the files tagged with
'a', instead of a two step operation: `:mark_tag a` + `yy`?

* After adding files to the copy buffer, is it possible to get an
overview of what is in the copy buffer? I know one could do `:echo %c`,
but that is not very readable. I'm more looking for an overview similar
to the task window.

* In Thunar I often drill down in directories by typing a few
characters; pressing enter; typing a few characters; pressing enter and
so on.
To replicate this method I now use the following command:
`scout -sektfl`
One issue I have with this is that I can't use the arrow keys to select
the next match. The only solution I know is to type additional
characters until I have a unique match. But in at least one situation
this didn't work, because I had already typed the entire name of the
directory I wanted to match, but there was another match which came up
first.

Thanks for any help and tips!
Jeroen

--