[Ranger-users] EDITOR not being read?

From: Michael Longval
Subject: [Ranger-users] EDITOR not being read?
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 10:49:10 -0400

While:

echo $EDITOR

will get me:

/usr/local/bin/vim

when I run ranger and keep going “Left-Arrow”, I end in in the "gnu-nano" editor

Now while gnu-nano is fine editor, I am addicted to vim so every time this
situations happens I get withdrawal symptoms.

In “a perfect world”, while inside of ranger:

going “Left-Arrow” into a file would send it to $PAGER (in my case
‘/usr/local/bin/most’) ===> this avoids ACCIDENTAL edits.

To edit the file would be the ‘e’ key, which doesn’t seem to be mapped. (yes it
functions in the console but not in “normal” mode …. ??? am I missing
something???

Any thoughts??

Mike

nb: I think it would be BEST to be able to override the environment $EDITOR and
$PAGER in

~/.config/ranger/rc.config

so as not to be reliant on the calling environment.