Re: [Ranger-users] Spam Wave on FAQ

From: Gary Johnson
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] Spam Wave on FAQ
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 23:30:42 -0700

On 2014-07-27, Joshua Landau wrote:
> On 23 July 2014 20:04, Hut wrote:
> > I'm receiving dozens of spam posts a day on the Q&A page [1].  This has been
> > going on for several months.  As a counter-measure, I already enabled manual
> > moderation to every post of a new user.  But I don't have the time to
> > manually
> > moderate the board, nor to hack the software to automatically detect spam.
> >
> > Suggestions?  As far as I'm concerned, we could just fall back to using the
> > mailing list for questions & answers.
>
> It's sad to see your herculean effort go to waste, but with the Q&A
> fallen into lesser use and the large maintenance effort it might be
> best to move on.
>
> We could try and hijack a new tag on http://superuser.com/, although
> F.'s ideas about a Git Wiki also makes sense for one subset of the
> problem.

It's nice having a Q&A site for just ranger, but if it's going to
suck up a lot of Hut's time to moderate it and to make it robust
against spam, it might make more sense to use SuperUser.  The site
doesn't get very much spam and any it does get is quickly removed.
The "ranger" tag hasn't been taken yet.

I think ranger is under-appreciated.  This list and the Q&A site
don't get nearly the traffic I would expect from a program as useful
as ranger.  I found only seven posts on SuperUser referring to
ranger the file manager.  Directing questions there as well as to
the mailing list might give ranger more exposure as well as freeing
Hut for more worthwhile work.

Regards,
Gary