Re: [Ranger-users] Size a factor in selecting a viewer/editor?

From: Gary Johnson
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] Size a factor in selecting a viewer/editor?
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 12:21:23 -0800

On 2013-11-21, niku wrote:
> Ranger opens the file in the text editor when it “knows” that it is a
> text file. It knows this by checking if the output of the following
> command starts with a ‘text’ (e.g., if it is ‘text/plain’).
>         file --mime-type -Lb "$path"
>
> So check the output of the previous command for the odd file. You
> probably have some binary control characters in the file, so the
> output of the previous command is something other than text/*.
>
> The command is mentioned in data/scope.sh. The test is mentioned in
> config/rifle.conf.

That was it.  Thank you.

The file command reported that log file as application/octet-stream;
all the others were text/plain.  Searching through that file
revealed a number of control characters that would not normally be
found in a text file.

I will edit my rifle.conf to force those particular files to be
handled as text/plain.

Regards,
Gary