Re: [Ranger-users] Previews pdf files as images.

From: Miodrag Milic
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] Previews pdf files as images.
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 19:46:28 +0200

IT would be great if quick preview is pluginable so that simple scripts could be written to handle quick preview of specific extensions. This is how it works in many file managers supporting this feature.

>> You need to find a program that converts PDF files into images,

Didn't check it but it should be as easy as:

convert -f 1 -l1 [pdf.file]

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 7:06 PM, Hut <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 07:15:14PM +0530, G Chandramouli wrote:
> Hello all,
>                Sorry if this issue is already answered. I want to preview
> first page of a pdf file on console.  Ranger by default uses "pdftotext".
> Can we do something like converting the first page to image (jpg or png
> format) (may be using imagemagick, which actually takes quite a time) and
> displaying it with "w3m".
>
> Thanks,
> Mouli

You need to find a program that converts PDF files into images, then
combine it with the code that was discussed in this thread:
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/ranger-users/2013-07/msg00027.html

There is no out-of-the-box solution for this yet.

hut