Re: [Ranger-users] Forum for ranger?

From: Roman Z.
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] Forum for ranger?
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 05:04:50 +0200

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 03:03:03AM +0100, Joshua Landau wrote:
> Thinking about it I'd be inclined to agree. Some sort of Wiki could be
> really nice, but it might be overkill too. Largely this would be an index
> for all the customisations that you can do to Ranger, as that constitutes
> most of the tips and tricks. However that and a(n?) FAQ would be easily
> integrated into a moderated board on a forum, even if less Wiki-ly.

The FAQ is located at [1] and it's regularly updated when I receive a
lot of similar questions.

We have a wiki too, even though it's just one page on archlinux wiki [2].
It's pretty much up to date with ranger 1.6.0 and contains a bunch of
good tips.

There was a full-blown wiki on ourproject.org (a moinmoin wiki, no
mediawiki; perhaps that's why nobody used it?) but I removed the link
from ranger's website due to inactivity and in hope that people go to
the more active archlinux wiki page instead.

[1] http://ranger.nongnu.org/documentation.html
[2] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ranger

> Actually...
> What Ranger needs is a package manager. Something alike to Sublime Text's.

That sounds scary :)

> Although I've no expert opinion, I can assure you that phpBB has not become
> unpopular. I'd be completely fine with that.

I am surprised :)  Not sure if positively or negatively surprised. :)

On 22 April 2013 01:22, Ping <address@hidden> wrote:
> Sorry a side topic,
> Instead of forum , my personal experience of learning a complex soft is,
> actually to have a centralized collections of tips/tricks/good usage
> cases/FAQs . If the forum is for that, it's definitely great!
> Sorry I'm not sure what is the best forum soft..

I encourage everyone to use and contribute to the archlinux wiki page [2].
I'll take some time to add tips there as well.

Roman