Re: [Ranger-users] Fine grained color control for text files

From: dghate
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] Fine grained color control for text files
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 02:37:38 -0400 (EDT)

> On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 03:50:33AM -0400, address@hidden wrote:
>> I was wondering if there is a way to change the default colorscheme in
>> such a way as to highlight (say red) *.tex or *.c files?
>
> Unfortunately thats not possible atm without hacking ranger.  BUT you
> could change the setting "hidden_filter" to hide those garbage files.
> Currently, the default value for hidden_filter is defined in rc.conf
> like that:
>
> set hidden_filter
> ^\.|\.(?:pyc|pyo|bak|swp)$|^lost\+found$|^__(py)?cache__$
>
> You'd have to put that line in your own ~/.config/ranger/rc.conf and add
> "|aux|snm|toc|whatever" to the list of hidden extensions:
>
> set hidden_filter
> ^\.|\.(?:pyc|pyo|bak|swp|aux|snm|toc|whatever)$|^lost\+found$|^__(py)?cache__$
>
> Roman

Dear Roman,

Thank you for the quick reply.

For reference for other people:

I added log to the hidden filter to hide *.log files in all my
directories. This is useful for directories with tex documents. However,
this is unhelpful when checking system logs etc.

So one can use zh or Ctrl-h to show the hidden files. This workflow is
easy, though not elegant.

A more elegant approach would be define tags for various directories and
set the hidden_filter per tag (though I don't know if this is possible).
But looks like too much work for little gain to me. So I didn't
investigate it further.

Cheers,
Devendra