Re: [Ranger-users] automount usb

From: Roman Z.
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] automount usb
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 19:09:37 +0100

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 06:29:20PM +0100, Miodrag Milić wrote:
> So if you argue its not a job of file manager, then why all those file
> managers implemented such features ? I understand your opinion tho,
> and it looks perfect for plugin.

I don't know enough about nautilus or thunar to give you a good answer
on that.  I guess they put that feature into the FM on the assumption
that the user will not use any other file manager or mounting manager,
and because those FMs run all the time, even when you don't see them.
But this is a job for a separate, FM-independent program that runs in
the background.

I found a list of such programs here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Automount#Automounting_udisks_wrappers

> Thanks for suggestions and your own implementations. I dont think
> Roman's solution is reasonable for situations I described - random usb
> disks from colegues every few days... I will examine udisk glue in
> detail.

Well, I use it for precisely that use case.  It's just a matter of
pressing "gm", navigating to the mount point and pressing the key
binding for ":shell mount %f".  But it's up to you, of course :)

Roman