Re: [Ranger-users] ranger 1.6.0 on the horizon

From: Roman Z.
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] ranger 1.6.0 on the horizon
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 04:23:38 +0100

> - option to show output of shell commands in some window, like bottom
> window (hsplit, for instance).

I usually use ":shell -w <command>" or ":shell <command>;read" for this
task.  You can also use the shortcut key "#" to get a console with
":shell -p ", then just type your command and press enter.

> *>> Doesn't sound too hard, maybe I give it a try before 1.6.0, but only if
> you promise to test it well ;)*
> Dude, I am hooked into ranger, I don't use anything else now as a file
> manager. I will test it really well, I am programmer and I respect
> responsive authors.

I looked over it, and the task is full of design decisions... I think I
rather want to develop that feature in ranger-git than to put a
half-baked version of it into ranger-stable.  Not that it makes much of
a difference to you if you use ranger-git anyway :) (and I hope you do!)

> *>>If you like it, I can make this the default behaviour.*
> That would be awesome. I don't really need to see files that are not
> covered with my search command.

I made that the default behavior now.  If you type ":filter foo bar",
the view is filtered as you type.

> >>*It lacks libcolumbus support though.*
> Its not really important to support full library. Skipping letters is. I
> suggest implementation via regex. Its trivial and you can choose between
> several options:
>
> If I type "npd"
>
> 1. Insert .* between each letter.  ".*n.*p.*d.*"
> 2. Insert .* between each letter and use ^ before first. "^n.*p.*d.*" .
> Little more natural
> 3. Insert .* between each letter except first and the last: "n.*p.*d". This
> way I could type ^npd$ for instance if I want to. Sounds like the best
> option.
>
> All 3 were implemented in QuickSearch eXtended for Total Commander on my
> suggestion several years ago and I can't live without it.
>
> This would be really great to have in another mode so that one doesn't have
> to type f all the time (with option for automatic open on single match, I
> find it confusing now when it opens on its own, although I am trying to
> adapt). This option makes one browse over file system extremely fast, it
> feel like you are writing a poem. You can get anywhere as fast as you think.

I implemented option 3 now. It's no separate mode, just a command, but
you can do much with commands in ranger ^^.  I called it :scout.  There
is no default key binding for it yet, you can create one by adding this
to your rc.conf:

"map F console scout "
(Without quotes. Note the trailing whitespace)

It allows you to move to the parent directory by typing "." and moving
to any other directory by typing part of its name.  It's not complete
yet but I'd like your input. :)

Roman