Re: [Ranger-users] Noob question: how to copy files?

From: Roman Z.
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] Noob question: how to copy files?
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 21:18:13 +0200

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 07:46:45PM +0100, Kaito Michishige wrote:
> Sounds like an issue with OSX cp. You are doing it right, this is a bug.
>
> Artem Avetisyan <address@hidden> escribió:
>
> >Hello!
> >
> >First of all, ranger is brilliant. The navigation bit at least.
> >
> >If only I could figure out how to copy/paste files. My naive approach
> >was
> >that I can simply yy a file in one location (or tab) and pp it into
> >another.
> >
> >That does not work. Upon pp it gives me underlying cp command error -
> >"cp
> >[-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-fi | -n] [-apvX] source_file ...
> >target_directory"
> >
> >What am I doing wrong? Environment: osx 10.8.2, tmux, zsh
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Artem
>
> --
> Enviado desde mi teléfono con K-9 Mail.

Exactly.  Ranger 1.5.5 depends on a GNU-cp-only option
(--backup=numbered) but OSX does not use GNU cp.
You can do any of these things to fix it:

- upgrade to ranger-master from git. It has a different copying
  implementation that does not rely on the cp program anymore, but it
  might not be as stable as ranger-stable.

- type "po" (for "paste/overwrite") instead of "pp".  "po" doesn't use
  the GNU-only flag, it won't create a backup of the file if it already
  exists, but will simply overwrite it.

- remove the "--backup=numbered" flag from the cp invocation in
  ranger/core/actions.py

- use GNU cp, obviously.

hut