Re: [Ranger-users] About extract files

From: niuhuifei
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] About extract files
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 15:22:15 +0100

Many thanks, I have got all.

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 11:32 PM, Roman Z. <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 10:31:08PM +0100, niuhuifei wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am a totally new and beginner to ranger. Two questions: 1. i only can get
> an slightly old version from software center of Ubuntu, is there a PPA for
> it?

Welcome to the mailing list. :)

I don't know about a PPA for ranger.

If you have 1.5.4-stable and want to use 1.5.5-stable, all you have to
do is wait until Ubuntu package maintainers update the version in the
software center.  I don't know Ubuntu's policies so I can't tell you how
long it will take.

If you don't want to wait, or if you want to use the cutting edge
version from git, there are download links here [1].  The downside is
that you'd have to manually update and uninstall ranger, since the
software center doesn't know about software that you manually install.
Using "git" makes updating easier though.

[1] http://ranger.nongnu.org/download.html

> 2. How can i extract files from archive under ranger? Many thanks, and
> i love ranger so much.
>
> Huifei

First, install the program "atool", then in ranger, type "1l".
In ranger-master, you can press "r" for a list of programs that you can
open a file with.  For archives, option #1 is aunpack, which unpacks
archives.

Regards,
Roman