Re: [Ranger-users] Version 1.5.0 out

From: Roman Z.
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] Version 1.5.0 out
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 20:00:45 +0200

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 07:22:52PM +0200, Jostein Berntsen wrote:
> On 13.10.11,18:46, Roman Z. wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > > After I install ranger with "sudo make install" I get still get this:
> > >
> > > ranger
> > > Can't import the main module.
> > > To run an uninstalled copy of ranger,
> > > launch ranger.py in the top directory.
> > > Traceback (most recent call last):
> > >   File "/usr/local/bin/ranger", line 52, in <module>
> > >     sys.exit(ranger.main())
> > > AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'main'
> > >
> > > I have to symlink to ranger.py in the install directory to make it run.
> > > Is
> > > there a way to correct this?
> >
> > This happens when python can't find ranger's module.  When you run "sudo
> > make install", it should be installed properly and this should never
> > happen, so I dunno...
> >
> > Can you tell me what do you mean with "install directory"?
> >

> The install directory is f.ex.
>
> ~/dw/ranger-master> ls
> build  CHANGELOG  COPYING  doc  INSTALL  install_log.txt  Makefile  ranger
> ranger.py  README  scripts  setup.py  test

Could it be that you start ranger with a specific python version?
Perhaps with an alias in your .bashrc?
Try just running /usr/local/bin/ranger directly.

If this works, here's the fix:  Run "sudo PYTHON=python3.2 make install"
to install ranger with python3.2.  Replace "python3.2" with whatever
python version you want ranger to use.
The alternative, of course, is to fix your .bashrc alias/function/whatever

Roman