Re: [Ranger-users] "ranger dir1 dir2" should open 2 tabs

From: Roman Z.
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] "ranger dir1 dir2" should open 2 tabs
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 23:55:22 +0200

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 01:44:41AM +0530, Sitaram Chamarty wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 6:42 PM, Roman Z. <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> Thanks!  Works like a charm!  Now I'm many many times more productive,
> >> since this was really a frequent use for me!

> >> well mc is GPL and they're using it already so we ought to be safe :)
> >
> > Do you switch panes with TAB in mc too?  Then it's almost the same :)
>
> Yes, and yes.
>
> But it  goes beyond that.  One thing I thought I would not like too
> much in the beginning was the fact that in ranger I cannot "see" the
> other directory, because it's in a tab.  After a few days of use, I
> find it doesn't bother me at all; in fact I now like this way better
> -- you get to see the *content* of the current one, which is more
> useful.  Also, seeing the other one can't have been any real use
> because I haven't really missed it!
>
> I'll tell you what is far and away the best feature of ranger for me
> (apart from all the vi-keys): the fact that each dir keeps a separate
> list of marked files.  It was **MADDENING** (sorry for the caps, thats
> how strongly I feel about it) to mark a set of files for deletion or
> other processing, and unthinkingly hit enter on a directory I am not
> sure of to see what it contains, and when you come back up you've lost
> all your marks.

I must admit that this feature was probably just an arbitrary choice.
At the bottom level, it's the question whether to save the list of marked
files in some unique object like "Environment" or in the Directory object
itself.  And I can't remember giving it much thought =P

I didn't notice (or forgot) this behaviour myself either since I use ranger
more like a tool to quickly move around and find things rather than
actually manage files.  But it's indeed quite useful and well worth the
extra memory consumption since it lets you explore and branch off your
work stream without loosing previous progress.

It's details like that which programmers should pay more attention at,
rather than stuffing programs with endless features, thanks for making
me more aware of that =p