qemu-riscv

Re: [RFC 0/3] Introduce a new Qemu machine for RISC-V

From: Atish Patra
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/3] Introduce a new Qemu machine for RISC-V
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 20:16:40 -0700

On Sun, May 22, 2022 at 10:59 PM Alistair Francis <alistair23@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 4:38 PM Atish Patra <atishp@atishpatra.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 1:54 PM Alistair Francis <alistair23@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > So maybe instead we lock in the current virt machine as the 7.1 virt
> > > machine for QEMU 7.1, then work on migrating to a PCIe only machine
> > > with versions (similar to the other archs)
> > >

> > I am not quite sure what exactly you mean here. Do you mean to modify
> > the current virt
> > machine to be PCIE only after QEMU 7.1 or the new PCIE only machine
> > (with the versioning)
> > which will be the default machine in the future
>
> I mean that we call the current virt machine the virt machine for QEMU
> 7.1. Then for future releases we can make breaking changes, where we
> have the old 7.1 virt machine for backwards compatibility.
>

> > If you intend to say the former, few issues with that approach.
> >
> > 1. virt machine is not well documented and already bloated. There is
> > no specification for virt machine as such.
> > Putting restrictions after a certain release will lead to confusion.
> > 2. Do we support existing MMIO devices after that specific version or not ?
>
> Yeah, so I guess this doesn't achieve the same outcome you want. I
> would say we would still include some MMIO devices, like UART for
> example.

Why ? We can just rely on the pcie based uart (virtio-serial-pci or
serial-pci) should be enough.
The only MMIO devices that should be allowed are the ones that can't
be behind pcie.

> But we could simplify things a bit. So for example maybe we could use
> AIA by default and then remove the PLIC code. That would help cleanup
> the board file. Then we could add a `msi-only` option that would be
> similar to
> https://github.com/atishp04/qemu/commit/d7fc1c6aa7855b414b3484672a076140166a2dcd.
> But without the PLIC it should hopefully be cleaner
>
> We would need AIA ratified before we could remove the PLIC though.

And AIA patches available in the upstream Linux kernel.
Even after that, can we just remove the PLIC ?
That would mean everybody has to use the latest kernel with AIA
support after that.

> > 3. The user has to be aware of which version of virt machine it is
> > running in order to test specific features (i.e. flash, reset, wired
> > interrupts)
>
> That's true, but I think we are going to have this issue someday
> anyway. We don't want to use the SiFive CLINT and PLIC forever,
> eventually we will want to use the newer hardware.

Agreed. But It should be disabed by default at first. In the future it
can be removed.
Otherwise, we end up breaking a bunch of user configurations.

> > 4. Based on the version of the virt machine, the command line options
> > will change. This may also be confusing.
> >
> > On the other hand, the second approach will be much cleaner without
> > any baggage. The RISC-V eco-system is still maturing and this is the
> > right time
> > to start something fresh. Let's call the new machine virt-pcie for
> > now. Here are a few things that can be implemented for this machine.
> >
> > 1. It must support versioning and any changes to the machine code must
> > modify the version of the machine.
> > 2. It must only support MSI based PCIe devices. No support for wired
> > interrupts.
> >     The only allowed MMIO devices are
> >            -- mtimer/mtimecmp (there is no other option provided in ISA)
> >            -- reset/rtc device (If there is a way we can emulate these
> > two over PCIe, that would be great)
> >            -- flash
> > Beyond this, adding any other MMIO device must be strongly discouraged.
> > 3. The virt-pcie machine must be well documented similar to a hardware
> > specification (including address range, restrictions and
> > implemented/allowed devices)
> > 4. No dependence on virtio framework but must work with virtio-pcie backend.
> > 5. Migration must be supported.
>
> I'm on board with these! They would all be great to have.
>
> I'm open to a virt-pcie, but as others have pointed out it might be
> easier to just make the switch now to the general board.
>
> > 6. No command line option is required.
>
> I don't see this being achievable unfortunately

I meant no command line configurability options for the machine
itself. We probably should
allow using different versions of the machine via command line.

--
Regards,
Atish