qemu-riscv

Re: Pointer Masking prototype for RISC-V QEMU

From: Richard Henderson
Subject: Re: Pointer Masking prototype for RISC-V QEMU
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2020 22:52:22 -0500

See https://wiki.qemu.org/Contribute/SubmitAPatch

> - What are the requirements for test coverage of this new functionality and
> what test infra should be used to measure it?

It can be tricky for these kind, because often "proper" use of the
functionality is quite a lot of code going into another project, e.g. asan.

But for acceptance of experimental features, a small "smoke test" is
sufficient.  Leastwise, that's all I've written for ARMv8.5-MTE. ;-)

> - If this functionality is deemed to be acceptable for QEMU, how does the
> review process looks like?

Well, hopefully the risc-v maintainers will have a look.  I will often look at
stuff based on TCG maintainership.

> - Also it's possible to implement Memory Tagging extension similarly as
> ARMv8.5
> has: it would reuse a lot of part from Pointer Masking. I've done initial
> prototype of such extension, does it make sence to try to push such
> experimetal
> features to qemu? If yes, what are the prerequisites?

Experimental features (i.e. non-ratified isa extensions) are acceptable, but
they need to be off by default, and enabled by a cpu property that begins with
"x-", so that it's clear to users that it's experimental.  So, currently, the
vector extension is enabled via "-cpu max,x-v=on".

r~