qemu-riscv

Re: [Qemu-riscv] [Qemu-devel] RISC-V: Vector && DSP Extension

From: Chih-Min Chao
Subject: Re: [Qemu-riscv] [Qemu-devel] RISC-V: Vector && DSP Extension
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2019 21:48:47 +0800

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 7:29 PM Aleksandar Markovic <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 11:52 AM liuzhiwei <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>     My workmate  and I have been working on Vector & Dsp extension, and
> I'd like to share develop status  with folks.
>
>     The spec references for  Vector extension is riscv-v-spec-0.7.1, and
> riscv-p-spec-0.5 for DSP extension.

Hello, Liu.

I will not answer your questions directly, however I want to bring to you
and others another perspective on this situation.

First, please provide the link to the specifications. Via Google, I found
that "riscv-v-spec-0.7.1" is titled "Working draft of the proposed RISC-V V
vector extension". I could not find "riscv-p-spec-0.5".

I am not sure what the QEMU policy towards "working draft proposal" type of
specification is. Peter, can you perhaps clarify that or any other related
issue?

Hi Aleksandar,

As for riscv-v-spec 0.7.1, it is first stable spec for target software development
though the name is working draft.  The architecture skeleton is fix and most of
work are focusing the issues related to micro-architecture implementation complexity.
Sifive has released an open source implementation on spike simulation and Imperas also
provides another implementation with its binary simulator.  I think it is worth to include the extension
in Qemu at this moment.

As for riscv-p-spec-0.5, I think Andes has fully supported this extension and should release more
detailed spec in the near future (described Riscv Technical Update 2019/06).
They have implement lots of DSP kernel based on this extension and also provided impressed
performance result.  It is also worth to be reviewed (at least [RFC]) if the detailed  spec is public.

ref:
     1. https://content.riscv.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/17.40-Vector_RISCV-20190611-Vectors.pdf
     2. https://content.riscv.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/17.20-P-ext-RVW-Zurich-20190611.pdf
     3. https://content.riscv.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/10.05-TechCommitteeUpdate-June-2019-Copy.pdf

chihmin

I would advice some caution in these cases. The major issue is backward
compatibility, but there are other issues too. Let's say, fairness. If we
let emulation of a component based on a "working draft proposal" be
integrated into QEMU, this will set a precedent, and many other developer
would rightfully ask for their contributions based on drafts to be
integrated into QEMU. Our policy should be as equal as possible to all
contribution, large or small, riscv or alpha, cpu or device, tcg or kvm -
in my honest opinion. QEMU upstream should not be a collecting place for
all imaginable experimentations, certain criteria on what is appropriate
for upstreaming exist and must continue to exist.

Yours,
Aleksandar