qemu-ppc

Re: Softmmu conflict with KVM?

From: Graf (AWS), Alexander
Subject: Re: Softmmu conflict with KVM?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 21:13:13 +0000

> Am 25.02.2021 um 20:34 schrieb Mark Cave-Ayland
> <mark.cave-ayland@ilande.co.uk>:
>
>> On 25/02/2021 17:41, Jd Lyons wrote:
>>
>> Something I’ve noticed with Qemu-ppc and KVM on real PPC hardware, it’s so
>> slow under OS X that it’s pretty much unusable, even if you can get it to
>> boot and run.
>>
>> However Mac-On_Linux using KVM is pretty close to native speeds, so I don’t
>> think it’s an issue with KVM, I think it’s an issue with Qemu-ppc.
>>
>> Should the softmmu be active in KVM mode?
>>
>> I don’t know if the CPU’s MMU is handed to the guest with KVM, but I suspect
>> there is a conflict, and we are not properly handling memory management in
>> KVM mode on PPC.
>
> Can you be specific about the PPC CPU and versions of OS X you are using
> here? I
> believe MoL has extra optimisations to improve running OS X under
> virtualisation, but
> Alex (added as CC) will be able to give you a bit more information.

Please also provide the QEMU command line you used to run osx on Linux with KVM.

And yes, MoL has a few tricks it plays to accelerate execution (binary patching
macOS to trap less). At least on my G5, things were usable enough without those
as well though.

Alex

Amazon Development Center Germany GmbH
Krausenstr. 38
10117 Berlin
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Christian Schlaeger, Jonathan Weiss
Eingetragen am Amtsgericht Charlottenburg unter HRB 149173 B
Sitz: Berlin
Ust-ID: DE 289 237 879