qemu-ppc

Re: [RFC v2 00/18] Refactor configuration of guest memory protection

From: Thiago Jung Bauermann
Subject: Re: [RFC v2 00/18] Refactor configuration of guest memory protection
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2020 01:39:22 -0300

Hello David,

David Gibson <david@gibson.dropbear.id.au> writes:

> A number of hardware platforms are implementing mechanisms whereby the
> hypervisor does not have unfettered access to guest memory, in order
> to mitigate the security impact of a compromised hypervisor.
>
> AMD's SEV implements this with in-cpu memory encryption, and Intel has
> its own memory encryption mechanism.  POWER has an upcoming mechanism
> to accomplish this in a different way, using a new memory protection
> level plus a small trusted ultravisor.  s390 also has a protected
> execution environment.
>
> The current code (committed or draft) for these features has each
> platform's version configured entirely differently.  That doesn't seem
> ideal for users, or particularly for management layers.
>
> AMD SEV introduces a notionally generic machine option
> "machine-encryption", but it doesn't actually cover any cases other
> than SEV.
>
> This series is a proposal to at least partially unify configuration
> for these mechanisms, by renaming and generalizing AMD's
> "memory-encryption" property.  It is replaced by a
> "guest-memory-protection" property pointing to a platform specific
> object which configures and manages the specific details.
>
> For now this series covers just AMD SEV and POWER PEF.  I'm hoping it

Thank you very much for this series! Using a machine property is a nice
way of configuring this.

>From an end-user perspective, `-M pseries,guest-memory-protection` in
the command line already expresses everything that QEMU needs to know,
so having to add `-object pef-guest,id=pef0` seems a bit redundant. Is
it possible to make QEMU create the pef-guest object behind the scenes
when the guest-memory-protection property is specified?

Regardless, I was able to successfuly launch POWER PEF guests using
these patches:

Tested-by: Thiago Jung Bauermann <bauerman@linux.ibm.com>

> can be extended to cover the Intel and s390 mechanisms as well,
> though.
>
> Note: I'm using the term "guest memory protection" throughout to refer
> to mechanisms like this.  I don't particular like the term, it's both
> long and not really precise.  If someone can think of a succinct way
> of saying "a means of protecting guest memory from a possibly
> compromised hypervisor", I'd be grateful for the suggestion.

Is "opaque guest memory" any better? It's slightly shorter, and slightly
more precise about what the main characteristic this guest property conveys.

--
Thiago Jung Bauermann
IBM Linux Technology Center