qemu-ppc

Re: 5.0.0-rc3 : Opcode 1f 12 0f 00 (7ce003e4) leaked temporaries

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: 5.0.0-rc3 : Opcode 1f 12 0f 00 (7ce003e4) leaked temporaries
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 13:00:34 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 17 Apr 2020, Peter Maydell wrote:
On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 at 01:43, Dennis Clarke via <address@hidden> wrote:
Also I did compile qemu with --enable-debug --disable-strip and the
performance is truely horrific.  I can only assume that those options
are the cause. Any thoughts from anyone would be wonderful.

Well, you turned on debug and you got some warnings
which are only emitted with debug on, so you can
work around it by not doing that :-) And yes, debug
is slower (it builds QEMU without optimization enabled
so it's easier to debug QEMU in gdb, and it turns on
various extra sanity checks.)

Last time I've looked I've found it effectively disables TB cache (at least with PPC) because one of those checks forces a flush which is the main source of the slowness with --enable-debug. Not sure if this could be avoided, I didn't know about --disable-tcg-debug Philippe suggested so haven't tested that.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan