qemu-ppc

[Qemu-ppc] PPC: Timer issues with git master

From: Mark Cave-Ayland
Subject: [Qemu-ppc] PPC: Timer issues with git master
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 23:27:48 +0100

Hi all,

I've just upgraded my git repository from around the 1.6 release timeframe to git master and I'm seeing some strange timing issues running through my OpenBIOS test suite which weren't there before my git update.

The two most noticeable changes are in FreeBSD and HelenOS; the countdown timer in the FreeBSD bootloader used to count down in seconds whereas now it whizzes down to zero, and HelenOS now takes a very very long time to boot.

In order to reproduce from git master download the appropriate ISOs and launch QEMU like this:

./qemu-system-ppc -cdrom /home/build/src/qemu/image/ppc/FreeBSD-9.1-RC2-powerpc-release.iso -M mac99 -m 512 -boot d

./qemu-system-ppc -cdrom /home/build/src/qemu/image/ppc/HelenOS-0.4.2-ppc32.iso -m 512 -boot d

Paulo/Alex B - I know you've been working with timers, so wondered if this is related to some of the changes you've been making? I've also copied Alex Graf in case this is somehow related to how the timer code interacts with the PPC timebase-frequency.

Many thanks,

Mark.