qemu-ppc

Re: [Qemu-ppc] Problem booting qemu-system-ppc with cpu e500XX and machi

From: Badrinath Sriman
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] Problem booting qemu-system-ppc with cpu e500XX and machine mpc8544ds
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 17:47:48 +0530

> Does it mean that the lbz instruction is not emulated? I saw in the qemu code
> base that it was emulated.

No, it means that your guest is trying to access memory that is out of its
initial TLB mapping, but it didn't set up IVPR+IVOR vectors to handle page
faults yet.

Either try and see if it works with current git from
git://git.qemu.org/qemu.git or check out mmubooke_create_initial_mapping in
hw/ppce500_mpc8544ds.c and increase the map size.

I tried from the git, but still the problem continues. I went through the
function mmubooke_create_initial_mapping to try and increase the map size. So
far, I have only been a qemu user and hence I do not have a reasonable
understanding of qemu code base/flow.
To increase the TLB map size, I tried changing the following line inside this
function:

ps = booke206_page_size_to_tlb(dt_end) + 1;

I tried different increments like 2 and 4, instead of 1 like
ps = booke206_page_size_to_tlb(dt_end) + 2;
ps = booke206_page_size_to_tlb(dt_end) + 4;

The "info tlb" inside qemu monitor which initially showed TLB size as 64M, now
show 512M (when I changed it to 4).

But the hang problem still continues. Hence, the problem may be that I am not
doing the proper change for increasing the TLB map size.

I also saw that recently you have committed a patch related to TLB sizing, as
given in

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-ppc/2012-06/msg00255.html.

The head version that i am trying also has this fix.

So, please advise on what variable/line to modify to increase the TLB map size.

Thanks
Badri.