Export checkpoint/bitmap from image on qcow2

From: João Jandre Paraquetti
Subject: Export checkpoint/bitmap from image on qcow2
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 10:12:37 -0300

Hi, all

I recently started looking into how to create incremental backups using Libvirt+Qemu. I have already found that, since Libvirt 7.6.0, we can use the virDomainBackupBegin API to create incremental backups of live VMs through Libvirt. Using this API we can back up the VM's disks and create a checkpoint at the same time. After the first full backup, we can create incremental backups referencing the checkpoint that was generated on the previous backup process.

As far as I understood Libvirt's documentation, when using this API to create a checkpoint, what happens is that Libvirt will create a new bitmap on the VM's disk to track the changes that happened from that checkpoint on, then, they'll copy what changed between the last bitmap and the new one. By doing this, Libvirt is able to create incremental backups of disks that are used by running VMs.

My problem is the following though: after I stop the VM, I'm no longer able to use Libvirts API as it requires the VM (domain) to be running. However, there might still be changes on the disk since the last backup I performed. Therefore, to create a backup of the changes made since the last backup until the VM was stopped, I have to work directly on the VM image using Qemu. I have checked, and the QCOW2 file has the checkpoint created with the Libvirt backup process (I checked via the "qemu-img info"). Therefore, we have the marker of the last checkpoint generated by the last backup process. However, if the VM is stopped, there is no clear way to export this last differencial copy of the volume.

I have searched through the documentation about this; however, I haven't found any example or explanation on how to manually export a differencial copy of the QCOW2 file using the last checkpoint (bitmap) created.

I would much appreaciate, if people could point me to the direction on how to export differencial copies of a QCOW2 file, using the checkpoints (bitmaps) that it has.

Thank you guys in advance!