Building QEMU With Instrumentation Functions

From: Trevor Chan
Subject: Building QEMU With Instrumentation Functions
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 19:22:49 -0500

Hello,

I am currently trying to change the QEMU build configuration to add the -finstrument-functions flag so that I can build QEMU with tracing functions I wrote for __cyg_profile_func_enter and __cyg_profile_func_exit. The compilation process for finstrument-functions requires first compiling the source files with the -finstrument-functions flag into an object file and second compiling that object file with the tracing definitions (compiling at the same time leads to segfaults).

I was wondering how I could change the QEMU build configuration's Make file to tell it to link all built files with an object file that I can specify? So far, I've tried to change the configure bash script so that it manually compiles and links, but it's led to some errors in the config.log about how some files don't have the libraries they need to link at this point in the build process, and also errors during the make process: error:

call to ‘qemu_build_not_reached_always’ declared with attribute error: code path is reachable
261 | #define qemu_build_not_reached() qemu_build_not_reached_always() | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ /home/trevor/qemu/include/qemu/lockable.h:41:9: note: in expansion of macro ‘qemu_build_not_reached’
41 | qemu_build_not_reached();

In case it's any help, I've attached the config.log from the configure bash script below

Thank you for your time and please let me know if there's any other information I can provide!

Best,
Trevor Chan