Re: difference between command line and virtual machine manager

From: Simon Becherer
Subject: Re: difference between command line and virtual machine manager
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 13:25:51 +0200

Am 08.09.23 um 12:41 schrieb wf5w@gmx.com:
I am a newbie when it comes to QEMU/KVM. So bear with my questions.
To explain what I am doing, I am a ham radio operator, and need to run Winlink radio email and VARA in Windows. That is all I use windows for. Wine is not sufficient to run it for some reason that I am unable to fathom. Therefore, I have had to resort to the Virtual Machine.
Now on to the reason for this post:
My host is a fairly recent Linux Mint 21.1. My Guest is a Windows 10. My usual method is to bring up Virtual Machine Manager, and run Windows from there. It works great UNTIL I try to use the radios' USB port for data communications. The radio has either a C-Media chipset or a cp210 type chipset (depending upon the radio). It has the quality of being BOTH a USB audio, AND 1 or 2 serial ports (for CAT control and PTT). What I need to do, is to pass through both the audio part and the serial port(s) part as well. But they might not be present, if the particular radio is not on. Which brings me to my 2nd question, how do I start up the VM without them, if I am not plugged in to the radio's USB port. And then be able to run the VM when they ARE plugged in. Which leads me to, can I run this whole thing via the command line with or without the particular USB port, and how do I create the command line version from the Virtual Machine Manager?
So in summary I have 3 questions:
1. How to pass through the USB device in question (both audio and serial) ?
2. How to make it all variable (sometimes one radio vs the other will be
plugged in, and sometimes none at all) ?
3. If different CLI versions have to be made depending upon #2 above, how do I
create that from what I have in the Virtual Machine Manager?
I hope this ramble makes some sense to someone at 5:00 in the morning!
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and look forward to your answers.
Jerry

Maybe i do not completely understand, but what i do:

1+2)
i use virtmanager and there is a option to bypass usb-ports
inside the "pull down menues". i do this for some usb-dongels
the host-port(s) can be used, or not, and so its seen inside the
vm or not. in my case, 2 usb dongels are always plugged in
and i switch between this 2, because otherwise my old windows
software will only see one of them (lsusb did not see any difference
between the dongels).
but if i remember correct its also possible to plug it in,
and after that connect via the virt manager the usb-port.
its a little tricky to set the host system to do it, at least
in opensuse. - i have it somewhere written down how to configure
it (for opensuse) but i have to search if you are interested in.

3) the commandline virt manager is using you will find by
ps fax |grep qemu

simoN

----
Extra Ham Operator: WF5W
Registered Linux User: 275424
3D designer

The most exciting phrase to hear in science - the one that heralds new discoveries - is not
"Eureka!" but "That's funny...". - Isaac. Asimov