how to saving some memory for windows virtual machine

From: Jiatong Shen
Subject: how to saving some memory for windows virtual machine
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 21:01:37 +0800

Hello community experts,

    I am researching on saving host memory for windows virtual machines and over committing host memory. Right now the issue is after windows virtual machine boots, the qemu process's rss will be the same as memory given by -m option very quickly compared with linux guest. Right now, I am thinking it is because windows is actively zeroing out free pages (by zero-page thread?). I am thinking about KSM, but it does not work if multiple windows virtual machines boot together and user cannot let KSM to processing a given process. So my question is is there other way to save windows virtual machine's memory other than KSM? Thank you very much for helping.

--

Best Regards,

Jiatong Shen