Re: Anyone can help me? I run KVM + QEMU failed

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Anyone can help me? I run KVM + QEMU failed
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 11:42:25 +0000

On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 at 06:59, Zheng Jian <zhengj@justsafe.com> wrote:

> Dear Qemu technical experts:
>
> My question is whether QEMU also needs to support specific CPU models
> when KVM is turned on? Here is the description of the problem I encountered.

No, there's nothing particularly you need to enable in QEMU.

> I want to run KVM+QEMU on my mobile phone, which is piexl7. Compiled
> the corresponding qemu-system-aarch64 bin.
>
> Then put it into the mobile phone to run, and found that qemu would
> hang, and then stopped running. The command line is as follows
>
> ./qemu-system-aarch64 -enable-kvm -m 1024 -M virt -cpu host  \
>    -nographic -kernel Image -drive if=none,file=disk_oe64.img,id=fs -device
> virtio-blk-device,drive=fs \
>   -append "earlyprintk console=ttyAMA0 mem=512M rootwait root=/dev/vda rw"

There's nothing obviously wrong with this command line (well, the
difference between the -m option and the mem= command line is
weird but shouldn't hurt).

Suggestions for debugging:
 * look for anything interesting in the host kernel logs
 * check whether 'earlycon' is any better for early kernel
   output than 'earlyprintk'
 * make sure you're using a recent QEMU
 * make sure you're using a recent host kernel
 * make sure you're using a recent guest kernel
 * enable QEMU's gdbstub and connect a gdb to it to see what's
   happening (if you're comfortable with trying to debug low-level
   boot issues)

thanks