qemu-system-sparc boot is very slow on netbsd/rpi4

From: Malte Dehling
Subject: qemu-system-sparc boot is very slow on netbsd/rpi4
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 10:22:37 -0700

Hi,

I have installed qemu v6.2 on a raspberry pi model 4b running netbsd-current (10.x to be.)  I am using it to emulate a sparcstation 5 and noticed that loading a kernel takes a very long time.  We are talking like 2 hours to boot the netbsd 7.2 for sparc iso I used for testing and similar for a solaris 7 iso I tried.  After booting the system runs at normal speed.

I’ve tried the same thing with qemu v6.2 on my thinkpad x230 running arch linux and it boots the same isos very quickly.

Not sure if this is an issue only on netbsd-arm or arm in general?  I’m in the process of setting up a second rpi4 with linux and will test there and report back.

An unrelated question: qemu-system-sparc uses up 100% host cpu.  From what I read using a guest os supporting the ss5’s apc should avoid that.  Does anyone happen to know if any version of solaris has support?

Cheers and happy easter to those celebrating,
Malte