Re: [SOLVED] Emulating a Raspberry3 on Debian11 using QEMU6.2.0

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [SOLVED] Emulating a Raspberry3 on Debian11 using QEMU6.2.0
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 10:38:43 +0000

On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 at 10:19, Johannes Zirngibl <Finch01@web.de> wrote:
> At first i have to say that i found a Step by Step Guide following this link.
> https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-run-the-raspberry-pi-os-in-a-virtual-machine-with-qemu-and-kvm

> STEP 7 Build the VM and Emulate Raspi3
>

> $ sudo virt-install \
>   --name rpios \
>   --arch armv7l \
>   --machine versatilepb \

This is *not* emulating a raspi3 or any other kind of raspberry pi.
It is emulating the extremely old versatilepb machine (which is
a decades-old Arm development board)...

>   --cpu cortexa53 \
>   --vcpus 4 \
>   --memory 1024 \

...and attempting to pass it 4 Cortex-A53 CPUs, which is not
going to work at all. I'm guessing these options get ignored
somewhere along the line, but your guest won't actually be
using an A53. Similarly I don't expect it will be using 1024MB,
because the versatilepb maximum is 256MB.

If all you wanted was "run a Linux kernel and I don't care
if I'm really emulating a raspberry pi or something else
entirely" this may all be fine, of course. But from upstream
QEMU's point of view we'd tend to suggest the 'virt' board
for that, because it allows more RAM and newer CPU types.