Re: linux doesn't boot with secure=on option (arm64 virt)

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: linux doesn't boot with secure=on option (arm64 virt)
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 10:41:06 +0000

On Fri, 25 Feb 2022 at 02:53, Chan Kim <ckim@etri.re.kr> wrote:
> Hi, Could anyone explain to me what ‘secure=on’ option means?
>
> Doesn’t it mean the virtual hardware machine has security features
> implemented? (that’s what I understand)

$ qemu-system-aarch64 -M virt,help | grep 'secure'
  secure=<bool>          - Set on/off to enable/disable the ARM
Security Extensions (TrustZone)

> And if we have the security feature implemented in the real machine,
> should I be running qemu always with seure=on?

The 'virt' board is not a real machine. Some users
want the security extensions emulated, and some do not:
so we provide the option to them.

Board models which emulate a real machine typically do
not provide this config option -- they just provide what
the real hardware does.

thanks