Re: how to obtain qemu changlogs

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: how to obtain qemu changlogs
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 09:30:42 +0000

On Wed, 9 Feb 2022 at 02:27, Jiatong Shen <yshxxsjt715@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello community,
>
>    I am trying to find new changelogs for each release. I find there is a
> site (https://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/6.1) for it, but looks like it does not
> contain every changes. for example,
> https://github.com/qemu/qemu/commit/c56ac27d2ad583aa2db5382bb510a33b638a4ab5
> this commit which supports rbd device to write zeros is not included. May I
> ask how change log is generated? Thank you.

The wiki changelog page entries are written by the maintainers of
each subsystem -- they add items if they think they are important
enough to merit flagging up (typically new features or significant
behavioural changes). Because this is a manual and also a judgement
process, sometimes we miss things.

If you want the 100% complete list of every change in a release,
you can look at the git logs. This will contain a lot of things
end-users don't care about, of course.