QEMU User Networking (SLIRP) with Xilinx-zcu102

From: asif siddiqui
Subject: QEMU User Networking (SLIRP) with Xilinx-zcu102
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 16:12:50 +0530

Hello All,

I am working on the networking between my host OS linux and guest OS QNX(Running on top of qemu). I have an interface xzynq0 in my guest OS with a dynamic IP address.

I am executing the qemu command as follows -

qemu-system-aarch64 -M xlnx-zcu102 -m 8G -serial mon:stdio -display none \
-device loader,file=QNX-IFS.bin,cpu-num=0 \
-net nic,model=cadence_gem -net nic,model=cadence_gem -net nic,model=cadence_gem -net nic,model=cadence_gem,netdev=xzynq0 -netdev user,id=xzynq0,tftp=/tftpboot

After booting the guest OS following is the output of ifconfig -

# ifconfig
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 33136
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
xzynq0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
capabilities rx=7<IP4CSUM,TCP4CSUM,UDP4CSUM>
capabilities tx=0
enabled=0
address: 00:00:00:00:00:00
media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT full-duplex,flowcontrol)
status: active
inet6 fe80::401a:a90e:79f:a326%xzynq0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x11

I am able to transfer files successfully between host os linux and guest using SCP when ssh is launched.

But i am not able to ping from guest to host or host to guest.  Also if i want to debug a qnx application using gdb remote debug it does not work.
Is it because of QEMU user networking(SLIRP) and it does not support other Network services ?

I tried following the steps given in the "Enabling ping in the guest, on Linux hosts" section from the link https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Networking#User_Networking_.28SLIRP.29
but it did not work.

Can you please suggest what changes are required in qemu command line so that i can ping from guest to host or host to guest as this is required for remote debug.

Regards
Asif