Accessing host files from Windows XP VM using SMB

From: Programmingkid
Subject: Accessing host files from Windows XP VM using SMB
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 17:48:01 -0400

Hi I'm trying to share host files with my Windows XP guest using the SMB server
built into QEMU. So far I haven't succeeded yet.

I used this command:
-netdev user,net=10.0.2.0/24,id=host_files,restrict=off,smb=<path to host
folder>,smbserver=10.0.2.4

It didn't work. In the command prompt I use these commands to try to access the
share:
net use G: \\10.0.2.4\Share
net use G: \\10.0.2.0\Share

Both failed. I was able to successfully ping 10.0.2.2 (gateway), and 10.0.2.3
(DNS). Pinging 10.0.2.4 (SMB) fails.

Has anyone had success with using SMB file sharing? Any tips or hints would be
great.