Re: interrupt 001E

From: Jakob Bohm
Subject: Re: interrupt 001E
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 04:12:38 +0100

On 2021-01-17 13:13, Tomas By wrote:
Hi,

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 02:43:05 +0100, Berto Furth wrote:
Interrupt 0x1E seems to be related to "SYSTEM DATA - DISKETTE
PARAMETERS" according to Ralf Brown's interrupt list. Could a disk
drive be misconfigured?
On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 11:52:19 +0100, Berto Furth wrote:
I'm afraid I don't really know what's happening (hopefully someone
else will!).
If I were to guess, I would say it probably has to do with file
locking, or whatever is the equivalent concept in DOS.

MS-DOS file locking is indeed called file locking and is handled by the
DOS kernel extension named SHARE.EXE .  It's conceptual logic is completely
duplicated by the file sharing rules in Windows NT/Win32, actual API calls
and flags can be found in the interrupt list and/or in the MS-DOS Encyclopedia.

However given that your program files are named ADMIN.EXE, IMPORT.EXE and
EXPORT.EXE, I suspect this to be MS-DOS era networking tools for one of the
multiple competing networking stacks, one of which may have used INT 1E for
some actual code (the diskette parameter table for PC BIOS is pure data pointed
to by the INT 1E vector at real mode address 00078, not code that can be
invoked).

None of the interrupt APIs in the interrupt list do that though, so you may have
to look at where these files are from and run whatever TSR/Driver they depend
on.

Enjoy

Jakob