Re: image works in native but not in vm when -cpu is set to host

From: Ken Moffat
Subject: Re: image works in native but not in vm when -cpu is set to host
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 23:17:52 +0000

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 11:17:37PM +0100, daggs wrote:
> Greetings Nerijus,
>
> > Sent: Friday, November 27, 2020 at 11:34 AM
> > From: "Nerijus Baliunas via" <qemu-discuss@nongnu.org>
> > To: qemu-discuss@nongnu.org
> > Subject: Re: image works in native but not in vm when -cpu is set to host
> >
> > Please provide them by text here, the link does not work. Regards, Nerijus

You didn't ask the other question (details of the panic: might be
missing driver, might be invalid opcode as far as qemu is concerned,
might be something else entirely.

I'll note that I've never tried to boot an image natively and then
try to run it in qemu, I've always assumed that optimising for the
real host and then for whatever qemu provides are likely to give
slightly different results (and when I've used qemu, the
partitioning has been very different from the real system).

But one difference between the two in what I'm replying to:
> here:
> vm:
> Architecture:        x86_64
> CPU op-mode(s):      32-bit, 64-bit
> Byte Order:          Little Endian
> Address sizes:       40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
                       ^^
vs
> native:
> Architecture:                    x86_64
> CPU op-mode(s):                  32-bit, 64-bit
> Byte Order:                      Little Endian
> Address sizes:                   39 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
                                   ^^

I haven't looked at the physical size recently, but it does seem to
be very machine-specific.  On my ryzen+ laptop where I'm typing
this, physical is 43 bits on linux-5.8.

ĸen
--
Internal error in fortune program:
    fnum=2987  n=45  flag=1  goose_level=-232323