Re: QEMU doesn't detect mouse or keyboard

From: Howard Spoelstra
Subject: Re: QEMU doesn't detect mouse or keyboard
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 07:52:07 +0200

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 10:51 PM Decafinated Tea <decafinatedtea@hotmail.com> wrote:
I tried to run Mac OS 9 on QEMU. However, even though I manage to boot in to the Mac OS 9 installer. My mouse and keyboard don't seem to be working. What should I do?

This is what I execute:

qemu-system-ppc -L qemu-screamer/pc-bios -cpu "g4" -M mac99,via=pmu -m 512 -hda macos92.img -cdrom MacOS9_0_4.iso -boot d -g 1024x768x32 -device usb-kbd -device usb-mouse

Hi,

Your command line has some redundancy in it. Using -M mac99,via=pmu already provides an usb bus and would attach mouse and keyboard to it by default. When using -M mac99 the cpu already defaults to the g4.
You are trying to install Mac OS 9.0.4. There are some limitations with that particular Mac OS version as guest:
-You need to use a version that includes Mac OS Rom version 5.6 or above. Mac OS 9.04 for the Cube contains a ROM that works. Others do too.
-A bug in Qemu makes that no version of Mac OS 9.0.4 works with two usb devices attached. Use -M mac99 as machine model to present the mouse and keyboard as adb devices.

I suggest you use the command line below to run an appropriate version of Mac OS 9.0.4:
qemu-system-ppc \
-L qemu-screamer/pc-bios \
-M mac99 -m 512 \
-hda macos92.img \
-cdrom MacOS9_0_4.iso \
-boot d -g 1024x768x32

Mac OS 9.1 and 9.2 guests can be ran with -M mac99,via=pmu.

It seems you are trying to run a sound enable build of qemu-system-ppc. Please make sure your qemu-system-ppc and and the openbios-ppc file in the pc-bios folder are both from the same sound enabled build.

Best,
Howard