Re: Which kernel version meet the needs, when run QEMU 5.1 on kunpeng

From: Sid Spry
Subject: Re: Which kernel version meet the needs, when run QEMU 5.1 on kunpeng 920 ARM serever?
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 15:19:42 -0500

On Thu, May 21, 2020, at 2:17 AM, address@hidden wrote:
> On Wed, 2020-05-20 at 11:10 -0500, Sid Spry wrote:
> > On Wed, May 20, 2020, at 3:11 AM, address@hidden wrote:
> > > How can I figure out which kernel version will meet the needs if I
> > > am
> > > using Qemu 5.x on huawei KunPeng 920 ARM server, which will fully
> > > use
> > > the hardware supported feature on this kind of server?
> > >
> > > Is there any basic mathod out there to quickly find out?
> > >

> > What do you mean by features? If you mean CPU virtualization
> > features, -machine accel=kvm and -cpu host will enable everything
> > that can be enabled.
> >
> > Hardware devices need to be explicitly passed in.
> >
> > If you use a modern distribution's kernel it will have modules for
> > all qemu devices available by default.
> >

> Hardware features which I mean is something like VHE, SMMU, GICv3(may
> be GICv4) etc. Are these all enable and can neatly support on the
> kernel version 4.14(Centos7 aarch64) and can be utilize by my virtual
> machine, should I try the latest version kernel 5.x, is that necessary?

Ok, I leave exhaustive check to you, but based on mailing list postings circa
2015[0] those features are supported in some 4.x kernels.

If it makes no difference otherwise I highly recommend always choosing the
higher kernel version especially when tracking new hardware developments. By
the time hardware is released typically it just works.

Also -- the features listed are integral to KVM's operation. If they weren't
supported I doubt KIM would function.

[0]: https://lists.cs.columbia.edu/pipermail/kvmarm/2015-July/015619.html