Re: QEMU 5.1: Can we require each new device/machine to provided a test?

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: QEMU 5.1: Can we require each new device/machine to provided a test?
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 13:24:13 +0200

On 15/05/20 12:51, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>> If a qtest is feasible, yes, I think we should require one for new
>> devices.
> qtest is not feasible, at least not for all kinds of devices.  You can't
> talk to usb devices for example, and changing that effectively requires
> writing uhci/ohci/ehci/xhci drivers so one can submit usb transfers in
> qtest.

Yes, but that's just because no one has written a test for a USB device.
 It would be completely feasible to plug USB into qgraph, the code for
USB in SeaBIOS is 4.5 kLOC so that's more or less the ballpark of what
you'd need.  You can then stimulate keyboard or mouse devices via
chardev (-serial msmouse), or run SCSI tests for MSD and UAS.

Paolo