Re: Automating Qemu and GDB together

From: R. Diez
Subject: Re: Automating Qemu and GDB together
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 16:02:14 +0200

> [...]
Sure - for our test script it's not a problem because it gracefully
handles a failed connection which can occur for a number of other
mundane reasons.

Could you point me to such a script?

I guess this is not script "tests/guest-debug/run-test.py", because I did not
see such a logic there.

TCP will attempt to connect to a port for some seconds before timing
out if nothing is listening.

That is not true: if there is no listening TCP socket, you get a "connection
refused" straight away.

Sometimes, a firewall will just drop the packets instead. That is often the case with servers on the Internet that are worried about hackers doing port scans. But in a local host, or in a LAN, that is not normally the case.

Why not just script GDB to attempt to re-connect if it failed the first
time?

That is easier said than done. 8-) GDB may or may not have been compiled with Python, which is not normally the case when building cross-compilation toolchains. In any case, I do not know Python yet (I remained in Perl). And GDB's default simple scripting language does not handle errors very well.

Do you know what happens if QEMU is waiting for the first GDB
connection, and that socket connection does nothing but connect and
disconnect? Will QEMU then start the emulator?

Yes.

That is unfortunate. I would have hoped it would have waited at least for some
GDB protocol handshake.

Regards,
  rdiez