Re: debian bootup hangs on qemu-system-mips64el

From: Aurelien Jarno
Subject: Re: debian bootup hangs on qemu-system-mips64el
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 20:57:52 +0100

Hi,

On 2020-01-12 11:34, Jun Sun wrote:
> Are you sure QEMU/MIPS does not support SMP?  Below link written in
> 2016 clearly shows something was working then.
>
> https://www.mips.com/blog/how-to-run-smp-linux-in-qemu-on-a-mips64-release-6-cpu/

It's not supported for the malta/mips64r2 combination you are trying to
use. It's clearly possible that it is supported for mips64r6, but it's a
different instruction set, so you can't run a standard Debian
distribution on it.

> Also, as Lixing mentioned in our private exchange, there is SMP
> support for loongson.  Lixing, I assume loongson SMP support is
> already merged in QEMU repo, right?  Can you point out the relevant
> source code directories?

Lixing mentioned virtualization. In that case it is indeed supported
like on other mips64r5 CPUs. For that you need to use add the -enable-kvm
option to the qemu command.

Aurelien

address@hidden                 http://www.aurel32.net