Re: qemu-system-x86_64: -accel kvm:tcg: Don't use ':' with -accel, use -

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: qemu-system-x86_64: -accel kvm:tcg: Don't use ':' with -accel, use -M accel=... for now instead
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 21:29:28 +0100

Yes, it's a good change. The reason for the deprecation is that -accel with colons worked only because of an implementation detail, and it conflicts with the plans we have to improve -accel. In particular, in the next version of QEMU the -accel option will grow more suboptions specific to KVM or TCG, and that doesn't make sense if more than one accelerator is specified.

Therefore in the next version of QEMU you will be able to say "-accel kvm -accel tcg", each with its own set of suboptions, but that isn't implemented yet. Anyway there's no plan to drop "-M accel=kvm:tcg", it will continue to work and will be transparently converted to "-accel kvm -accel tcg".

Thanks,

Paolo

Il lun 25 nov 2019, 21:20 Nir Soffer <address@hidden> ha scritto:
On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 9:54 PM Nir Soffer <address@hidden> wrote:

> We have automated tests running qemu like this:
>
> 19:22:55 DEBUG   (MainThread) [qemu] Starting qemu ['qemu-kvm',
> '-accel', 'kvm:tcg', '-drive',
> 'file=/var/tmp/ovirt-imageio-common/test_full_backup_raw_tcp_0/disk.raw,format=raw',
> '-nographic', '-qmp',
> 'unix:/var/tmp/ovirt-imageio-common/test_full_backup_raw_tcp_0/qmp.sock,server,nowait',
> '-audiodev', 'none,id=1', '-S']
>
> These tests worked fine for couple of moth and start to fail to day
> with this error:
> qemu-system-x86_64: -accel kvm:tcg: Don't use ':' with -accel, use -M
> accel=... for now instead
>
> Since we use virt-preview repo, we consume now this version:
> qemu-4.2.0-0.2.rc2.fc30.src.rpm
>
> These tests run fine with:
> qemu-kvm-4.1.0-5.fc30.x86_64
>
> Is this a known issue?

This patch fixes the issue:
https://gerrit.ovirt.org/c/105030/1/common/test/qemu.py

Would be nice to get your blessing on this change :-)

Nir