KVM and Networking access

From: Ruben Safir
Subject: KVM and Networking access
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 13:24:57 -0500

Is anyone aware of a simple KVM and QEMU tutorial to create a virtual
machine that can be assiged a static IP  so that one can run  a
webserver from it.

I wanted to set up my webservers that are running in metal, into vms,
and have them use the same IP addresses that the metal is now currently
using.    I'm not so sure why networking for the VM is so hard.

I've seen situations where servers even have multiple IP addresses
assinged to systems with virtual network interfaces such as

eth0.1
eth0.2

etc.  Sonic Walls do this.

Why do I need a whole networking wrapper for the VM.  Can't I just
assign the virtual network device inside the VM to the ethernet device
on the metal, as you can will all the other devices, mouse, keyboard,
tty, sound.  The VM just maps this stuff as part of the VMs inherent
ability.  Why does networking require an entire wrapper virtual network?

I've been told the key to doing this is to build a bridge device (so we
now have a who bunch of new devices).  But I can't find any tutorials to
do this, just a lot of confusing and, IMO, poorly written documentation.

I so miss the old days of Linux HowTOs
http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.brooklyn-living.com