Re: arm/cadence_gem driver support

From: Alexei Colin
Subject: Re: arm/cadence_gem driver support
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 13:05:20 -0400

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 12:46:40PM -0400, Kent Dorfman wrote:
> Thanks for the input!
>
> Could you post your complete startup command sequence for the VM?  I'm
> trying to get a handle on whether I would need to create DTB files for
> the image.  Also I've noted that qemu can be picky about command
> option ordering.

As far as I understand, for recent boards Xilinx defines the board HW
via device tree. Btw, to be clear, the device tree code only exists in
the Xilinx fork and not upstream.

If you do go the Xilinx fork road, then what I'm doing is essentially
their instructions for ZCU102.  Machine type is 'arm-generic-fdt', with
a different DTB for each board.  The DTBs are in a Xilinx
qemu-devicetrees repo on github, iirc; if your board is similar to any of the
existing ones there, the DT will be largedly the same.  Ours is a custom
board, similar to Xilinx ZCU102, we wrote a custom DT for it. This is
probably not too helpful, but invocation for us is:

qemu-system-aarch64 -machine arm-generic-fdt -hw-dtb custom-qemu.dtb
-serial pty -net nic -net tap,br0,helper=/usr/local/bin/qemu-bridge-helper
-monitor stdio -device loader,file=/path/to/elf,cpu-num=0