Re: [Qemu-discuss] mipsel_bios.bin missing

From: Jakob Bohm
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] mipsel_bios.bin missing
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2019 02:49:17 +0200

On 01/07/2019 02:02, Andrew Pennebaker wrote:
qemu-system-mips64el: Could not load MIPS bios 'mipsel_bios.bin'

I am scratching my head why qemu offers an mips64el emulator with missing
parts. At least other emulators like for ARM and PPC have standard packages
for obtaining the BIOS firmware assets.

Hmm, the wiki says that this file is not even necessary. The wiki advises
creating a BIOS file consisting of 128KiB of zeroes.

Then the wiki mentions something about using a kernel to avoid loading the
BIOS file. Uh, I am not familiar enough with qemu to know what kind of
kernel should be passed in. I just want to run a basic Debian mips64el
guest.
In general, qemu expects Linux kernels, such as the Debian kernels.
Can we please get this error resolved in a future qemu release?

I wonder if any of the "Open hardware router" projects have an open
source MIPSel BIOS that qemu could distribute.  Or if they all just
run the Linux bootloader directly.

Enjoy

Jakob