Re: [Qemu-discuss] How do I redirect console IO for script use?

From: Joachim Durchholz
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] How do I redirect console IO for script use?
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2019 21:38:07 +0100

Am 04.03.19 um 15:32 schrieb Alexei Colin:
On Sun, Mar 03, 2019 at 10:56:53AM +0100, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
- redirect just the physical console
   (not a pty or anything inside the VM)

This part is confusing. The '-serial pty' argument redirects a physical
serial port (UART) on the emulated (target) machine to a pseudo-terminal
device on the host (a PTY). The "PTY" is not inside the VM.

Ah, my bad. I have been thinking that ptys are just generalized tty devices, and of course such things exist inside a VM but they aren't relevant in this scenario it seems.

Anyway: I want to avoid in-VM configuration as much as possible.
Instead, I want to interact with the PC console: A text-mode screen and a keyboard. I.e. no configuration for a serial console in the guest. (The guest isn't Linux, it's FreeBSD and I'm not familiar enough with that to confidently configure anything inside it.)

Regards,
Jo