Re: [Qemu-discuss] Weird qemu behaviour with Freescale Coldfire MCF5282

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Weird qemu behaviour with Freescale Coldfire MCF5282
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 17:15:26 +0000

On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 at 16:11, Thomas Huth <address@hidden> wrote:
> Sure. It's as simple as this: QEMU is a just-in-time emulator, that
> means that the all new code that is seen by the m68k CPU is translated
> to host CPU machine code. For code blocks that have already been
> translated, the target m68k code is not considered again. So if your
> code branches to a part that has already been executed once, you won't
> see it again in the output of "-d in_asm".
> If you need single-stepping, I recommend to attach a remote GDB instead.

Alternatively you can investigate the logging options -d cpu,exec,nochain
-- they will print out logging of the CPU state before each translated
block is executed, and disable the optimization that allows TBs to chain
directly to each other. (That last slows things down a lot but means
that you get full logging.) The commandline option -singlestep which
forces each TB to only have one insn might also be useful.

thanks