Re: [Qemu-discuss] unstable qemu under Ubuntu (on Windows)

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] unstable qemu under Ubuntu (on Windows)
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2018 11:52:53 +0100

On 5 September 2018 at 09:15, Fabrizio Caruso
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Indeed I am using Windows subsystem for Linux where I run qemu.
> The binaries are OK if run outside of Windows.
>
> What is puzzling is that quemu does run well on some binaries under Windows
> subsystem for Linux.
> Is this a bug? Or are the random core dumps an expected behavior because
> there is no support for nested virtualization?

This isn't nested virtualization -- QEMU's linux-user mode is just
an emulator.

If a program like QEMU runs fine natively on real Linux but
not in WSL, then the most obvious conclusion is that this is
likely a bug in WSL, and you should take it up with Microsoft.
(WSL is a reimplementation by MS of the Linux syscall ABI,
and it has known areas where their implementation is not yet
complete and likely also some bugs.)

> Anyway, how can I run ELF Linux binaries under Windows?
> Should I try a real virtual enviroment, e.g., VirtualBox? Does qemu run
> under VirtualBox?

QEMU should work fine if run on a real Linux kernel, whether
that is a Linux kernel running on the real hardware or running
inside a VM like virtualbox.

thanks