Re: [Qemu-discuss] Override ECX for guest

From: Mikael
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Override ECX for guest
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 12:02:16 +0100 (CET)

----- On Jan 26, 2017, at 11:08 AM, Nerijus Baliunas address@hidden wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jan 2017 10:49:42 +0100 (CET) Mikael <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> The firewall itself utilizes modules which are non-open source. As such
>> building
>> your own kernel, even with the same version is not possible as the firewall
>> product would cease operating.
>
> You could try to build module for AES acceleration with the same vermagic
> (look at the output of modinfo some_module.ko) and try to insmod it
> without changing the running kernel.

Thanks for the tip. I have considered this. As the kernel is heavily patched /
backported I'd be fully dependent on the vendor providing me their GPL part of
the sources.

I am sure they would honor a GPL request, however, I could probably not expect
to receive it in a format which might be stock compatible for compilation as
the main linux tree. This is something they seems to have branched off in 2008
manually maintaining adding support for new chipsets, security and devices. I
guess we will see ;)

I will try to make a request now just to see what they provide.

If you know any paths of lesser resistance (i.e. overriding the ecx for a
guest) this is still welcomed. Otherwise I need to maintain this parallel
module on appliance updates which might introduce additional breakage.

/Mikael